Sunday, January 6, 2013

FileScanner

Started working on a file scanner today.  This project is a result of my cluttered hard drives.  I have music and photos and videos all over the place, with duplication, etc.  I need to consolidate them, index them, and make sure they are all stored safely on one set of RAID-1 drives.

This is also an attempt to get out of the C# trap.  Since I use C# a lot at work, it's become my go-to language.  This sucks in a non-MSFT world, like the Mac I use at home, so I'm writing the scanner in Java.  I used to have mad Java chops, but have mostly lost them over the past 4 years.  Hopefully this will bring some of that back.

Ideally, I'd like to write this in Objective C or C++, just to really push myself, but I don't want to spend a ton of time on this particular project.  Java is a lot like C#, so I'm hopeful this will be wrapped up fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment